American College of Healthcare Executives
Strategic Plan: 2012–2014
Note: Strategic plan progress reports are posted after they have been approved by the Board of Governors. Therefore, the Progress Report displayed may relate to a prior year strategic plan. Please make careful note of the date at the top of the Progress Report.
To be the premier professional society for healthcare executives dedicated to improving healthcare delivery.
To advance our members and healthcare management excellence.
As members of the American College of Healthcare Executives, we are committed to:
We advocate and emulate high ethical conduct in all we do.
We recognize lifelong learning is essential to our ability to innovate and continually improve ourselves, our organizations and our profession.
We lead through example and mentoring, and recognize caring must be a cornerstone of our professional interactions.
We advocate inclusion and embrace the differences of those with whom we work and the communities we serve.
- Career Advancement
- Service Excellence
Goal Area 1: Membership
To exceed our members’ expectations through enhancements to our credentialing program, chapter development and other programmatic changes that add strategic value.
- Support ACHE chapters in the development and effective use of resources to increase value for our members. (Ongoing)
- Increase the perceived value of the FACHE credential and promote it to multiple constituencies. (Ongoing)
- Increase the participation of hospital and health system chief executive officers and other senior healthcare executives in ACHE through recruitment, advancement and participation in chapters. (Ongoing)
Goal Area 2: Knowledge
To provide our members with the tools and information they need to excel in our profession.
- Expand and increase the use of resources that help chapters deliver high-quality, relevant education programs for our members. (12/31/2012)
- Develop resources to help members understand and prepare for healthcare reform. (12/31/2012)
- Enhance the Congress on Healthcare Leadership and ensure adequate capacity for its continued growth and value as the premier educational event for Healthcare Executives. (Ongoing)
Goal Area 3: Career Advancement
To deliver programs, products and services that advance professional excellence and attract future leaders to the profession.
- Promote the profession of healthcare management to high school students and undergraduate students and assist graduating Student Associates with the transition to professional employment through chapters and the Higher Education Network (HEN). (12/31/12 and Ongoing)
- Implement recommendations from the research study of residencies and post-graduate administrative fellowships. (12/31/2012)
- Support early careerist members through career enhancing initiatives and programs at the national and chapter level. (Ongoing)
- Provide career enhancing initiatives and programs for mid-level and senior-level careerists, and those transitioning to healthcare management roles. (Ongoing)
- Establish a Career Services Task Force to define ACHE’s role in advising, mentoring and coaching members to support their career development needs and deliver a final report no later than December 31, 2013. (12/31/2013)
Goal Area 4: Leadership
To support our members in developing and maintaining the attributes of leadership excellence
- Sustain the relevance of and adherence to the ACHE Code of Ethics. (Ongoing)
- Continue meaningful collaboration/partnership with other organizations on behalf of the profession of healthcare management. (Ongoing)
- Educate members on critical policy issues (e.g., quality and patient safety, care for the un/under-insured) and the advocacy process so they can be effective advocates for the profession. (Ongoing)
- Continue to champion diversity and cultural competency and strengthen the efforts of the Institute for Diversity in Health Management and other associations. (Ongoing)
Goal Area 5: Service Excellence
To provide exemplary service to our members.
- Implement the ACHE Governance Improvement Plan including policy, structures, representation and processes. (12/31/2012)
- Continue to provide ACHE staff with professional development opportunities that help our staff excel in job performance and process innovation. (Ongoing)
- Create an effective development program to cultivate donors who will contribute to the Fund for Innovation in Healthcare Leadership through annual giving, major gifts, planned giving and corporate giving. (Ongoing)
- Explore the use of technology to improve members’ access and understanding of ACHE’s programs, products and services relevant to their professional needs. (12/31/2013)
- Pursue enterprise level performance excellence through a systematic process of performance improvement. (12/31/2013)