ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Transitioning from healthcare IT management to general healthcare administration

Last post 12-11-2014, 12:11 PM by MHugais. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-05-2014, 12:26 PM 9875

Transitioning from healthcare IT management to general healthcare administration

I'm finished my MBA earlier this year and am deeply interested in healthcare administration and passionate about how technology can be used to improve the delivery of primary care, but my perception is that all career paths upward and in to healthcare administration care closed to me because from clinical perspective, I add little immediate value and from the IT perspective, there's no value seen in pushing a great employee out the door and into another job field. Any advice on  how I can make the leap? 
  •  12-11-2014, 12:11 PM 9876 in reply to 9875

Re: Transitioning from healthcare IT management to general healthcare administration

You may be underestimating your value. The role of technology in delivering healthcare will only increase as time goes on, whether its managing data related to population health, EMR, privacy protection issues or other new technologies affecting the direct delivery of care.  Now that you have the education and it sounds like some experience in the field, it's a question of where best to apply that combination of knowledge. It may be that the next move is not directly into a management track, but at least shifting out of the classic IT role and into a broader path where technology is valued is a first step. Articulate the value you would bring and show your "passion about how technology can be used to improve the delivery of primary care" in your networking and marketing.  Don't limit yourself to posted jobs only, as it may be that connecting with people and organizations that value this technology/delivery combination will provide the best path.  Also, think out of the box of just hospital settings as there are exciting opportunities in retail medicine, consulting and other areas.  Refer to a free online presentation at ache.org in the Early Careerists Network area titled, "The Early Careerist: Navigating Through a Changing Landscape". Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

View as RSS news feed in XML