ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Recent Graduate

Last post 09-27-2014, 3:02 PM by CBender. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-23-2014, 9:47 PM 9872

Recent Graduate

Hello,

I recently graduated with my MBA specializing in health services administration. I applied to a few fellowship programs but I haven't heard back from any of them yet. If I don't get a fellowship opportunity should I start looking for an entry level job? If I should start looking for an entry level position, what department would be best to start out a career?

If I get a call to do a phone interview for the fellowship, how should I prepare? Since this is a fellowship it's a little difficult to anticipate what types of questions they may ask me and I want to be prepared.

Feedback is greatly appreciated! 

•  09-25-2014, 9:53 AM 9873 in reply to 9872

Re: Recent Graduate

Re: your first question about looking for an entry level job if you don’t land the fellowship, the answer is definitely yes. The market for fellowships is competitive, so there are no sure things.  As far as the entry position, check out the article on the ACHE website under Career Resources/Students and Early Careerists titled, "Your Career as a Healthcare Executive" for some additional ideas.

I assume you have looked at our Directory of Post Graduate Fellowships and the ACHE Job Center. Also, check the ACHE website and under Career Resources, you will find the Career Management Network. You can access other ACHE members for networking.

As far as preparing, it would be much like other interviews in that you are highlighting your key strengths, but do your homework on each opportunity and find out what the organization’s priorities are.  Since many fellowships will have you rotating through departments and working on projects, your project management skills and ability to learn quickly would surely be relevant.

Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

•  09-27-2014, 3:02 PM 9874 in reply to 9873

Re: Recent Graduate

Thank you so much Mike Broscio for responding and giving me some guidance. There is sooo much on this website and it can be a little difficult to find the exact information that I am looking for. I will look at the article for additional ideas as well as prepare for fellowship interviews. Thanks again for all your help!
View as RSS news feed in XML