ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Healthcare Opportunity

Last post 09-25-2013, 6:45 AM by LGasper. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-02-2010, 3:12 PM 9504

Healthcare Opportunity

I recently obtained my B.S. in Healthcare Management and is seeking an opportunity within a healthcare organization. It's been very challenging to find a job since I've been working for a major investment company for the past twelve years.

Can someone please provide some guidance or suggestion on what to place on my resume to attract any healthcare organization?

Thanks! Kay

•  06-11-2010, 12:52 PM 9516 in reply to 9504

Re: Healthcare Opportunity

Kay, 

Congratulations on finishing your degree.  The fact that you have extensive employment experience with a recognized financial firm is a plus.  Often, individuals graduate with no full-time paid experience so they are challenged in developing a resume that will distinguish them from the many other new grads who also have not worked.  Career Management 101 on ache.org has a module that considers how to develop and use cover letters and resumes.  I urge you to give it some attention.  What should work to your advantage will be the accomplishments you can list that demonstrate how you have contributed to your employer's success and, hopefully, how you advanced in your time working there.  Any internships or practicum or case studies that placed you in live, operating healthcare organizations during your studies deserve mention also as they demonstrate that you are not a stranger to the environment where you seek to work.

Equally important will be creating a grammatically perfect document that looks and reads as professionally prepared as would a document from a recognized investment firm.  You may have dashed off your message board posting, but you cannot afford to be so casual in any correspondence or with any document that represents you in your job search.

Finally, I hope you are just being loose in your writing when you say “...on my resume to attract any healthcare organization." That sounds somewhat passive.  Landing your first job in a new sector will take concerted effort by you to be reaching out in person as you network rather than just posting to a resume board or by mailing blind “To whom it may concern” at some organization.

•  09-25-2013, 6:45 AM 9858 in reply to 9504

Re: Healthcare Opportunity

I have been a paralegal for over 15 years. What I decided to do was to hire a professional resume writer to tailor my current skills to the healthcare profession. So far, it seems to be working as I have had one interview already and I am getting many views.  I hired Mr. Goodman. He is located on the internet. His work is pretty good. So far, so good.  
View as RSS news feed in XML