ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

What to do after my Bachelor's degree

Last post 02-04-2013, 1:11 by MBroscio. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-31-2013, 6:34 9826

What to do after my Bachelor's degree

Hi, I just recently graduated with my BSHA degree in Health Administration (with the concentration of healthcare management), and I am now a new member of ACHE. I live in the state of Florida, and I am desperately looking to gain experience in the healthcare field. I have no experience and more than willing to train. Furthermore, I just recently gotten laid off of my job as Auxiliary Agent at Pre-Flight Services because my position became obsolete. I have been trying to get in the field of healthcare from the time I was in school, and it has been very difficult. I am now looking for work with training, and I am trying to figure out where and how I can begin. I have done some reading and I am not sure if this is true (sometimes we cannot believe everything we read). They say that I must have a master's degree in order to get in or to get any training. So now I am stuck trying to figure out rather to find work in anything and anywhere (or be specific about where to apply), and go for my Master's now or go for my Master's after I get my foot in the door some how. What should I do, and how should I approach this?

Thank you!

•  01-31-2013, 9:20 9827 in reply to 9826

Re: What to do after my Bachelor's degree

GTerry,

I know you are looking for paid employment but have you considered voluteering a few hours a week.  This will get you in the door and allow you to network with other health care professionals.  I am finishing my Master in Health Care Administration.  I am trying to do a total career switch ( from banking to healthcare).  I am also a new member to ACHE.  I am going to start volunteering this month at an area hospital.

•  02-01-2013, 5:51 9828 in reply to 9827

Thank you PWalker! I think that would be a good method to getting in. I will try to do that as I am trying to find something in the meantime. I looked up some facilities that I can volunteer at, but noticed that a couple of them prerferred that the volunteers be 18 and younger. I guess it doesn't hurt to try anyway when I have nothing to lose.
  •  02-04-2013, 1:11 9830 in reply to 9826

The job market for Bachelor level jobs is tight. The graduate degree will likely be needed if you envision a career in healthcare management. Build your network as much as you can. Check the ACHE website and under Career Services, you will find the Career Management Network (Members Only area). You can access other ACHE members for networking. Be sure to connect with the local ACHE Chapter wherever you are located. Also, look at the Student and Early Careerist Network and related resources in the Career Services Section of the ACHE website.

As far as the entry position, check out the article on the ACHE website under Career Services titled "Your Career as a Healthcare Executive" for some additional ideas. If you don't have direct healthcare experience, look at opportunities for internships and possibly volunteering as another member suggested. Review the information on Internships also in the Student and Early Careerist section of the website. Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

View as RSS news feed in XML