ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Healthcare Administration tips for first job

Last post 01-28-2013, 9:16 AM by MBroscio. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-02-2011, 2:59 PM 9612

Healthcare Administration tips for first job

I will graduate with an MBA in Healthcare Administration in March.  I currently have a 4.0 but I only have 7 months of healthcare experience through an internship at my local hospital.  I currently live in Ohio, but I would like to relocate.  What type of jobs should I look for?  Also what jobs am I qualified for?  Will it be hard for me to relocate?

Thanks!

•  11-23-2012, 7:17 AM 9819 in reply to 9612

Re: Healthcare Administration tips for first job

In my experience, there are a lot of Supervisor positions open at hospitals throughout the nation. Many positions require 2+ years of management experience; however, for the right candidate that can be waived. See which hospitals and other facilities you would like to work for and start checking their job postings religiously. I actually took a beginning registration position to work my way up but your internship should help you skip that step.
  •  01-17-2013, 10:18 AM 9821 in reply to 9612

Hello, you may want to consider applying for the paid VHA Internship programs.  They provide 2 years of 'fellowship' type training and then (if successful...usually not a problem) you'll be assigned to a facility.  It is a great entry point in to the VHA.

Check USAJOBS.gov and goggle Technical Career Fields (TCF) Internships to obtain more info.

Good luck!

Kristi Miller

•  01-28-2013, 9:16 AM 9825 in reply to 9612

The market is challenging no doubt.  Keeping yourself open to relocation is a positive as many people are not. There may be opportunities in smaller communities which could be worth considering as well.  

As far as the entry position, check out the article on the ACHE website under Career Services titled "Your Career as a Healthcare Executive" for some additional ideas. Feature any management related skills in your resume. If you don't have direct supervisory experience, start to think about experiences you now have or had in the past, where you led a project or team, as well as situations (on the job or off) where you displayed leadership qualities.

You will need to network aggressively where and when you can. Check the ACHE website and under Career Services, you will find the Career Management Network (Members Only). You can access other ACHE members for networking. Also, connect with your local ACHE Chapter to explore available resources.  Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

View as RSS news feed in XML