ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

How do I get to the next step in my career?

Last post 06-04-2012, 2:27 PM by CHefter. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-10-2012, 7:12 PM 9744

How do I get to the next step in my career?

I just joined ACHE.org and currently am employed in human resources(staff level) at healthcare organization in the Tristate area(new york). I am in my 2nd semester, 1st year for my Masters in Healthcare Administration Degree, where I would like to become an healthcare administrator. I just went to my first networking event last week, where I connected with a few VP's at competitor hospitals. I do not want to move to another organization but should I keep in touch with a VP competitor?

Here are my main questions:

How do I know what area in the hospital stetting to apply to and what type of position? I have been looking at manger and supervisor qualifications and I do not have the supervisory experience which is required for most of these positions. So, how can I get to the hospital? My director has told me that I can shadow an executive, but if I don't know who they are, why would they take out time in their busy day to speak with me? 

Thank you for all your suggestions in advance! 

•  04-16-2012, 9:40 AM 9746 in reply to 9744

Re: How do I get to the next step in my career?

Re: your first question of talking to a VP competitor, absolutely.  You need to network where and when you can and keep all options open.  Check the ACHE website and under Career Services, you will find the Career Management Network (Affiliates Only).  You can access other ACHE members for networking.  Also, see the Leadership Mentoring Network.

As far as the entry position, check out the article on the ACHE website under Career Services titled "Your Career as a Healthcare Executive" for some additional ideas.  If you don't have direct supervisory experience, start to think about opportunites you now have or had in the past, where you led a project or team, as well as situations (on the job or off) where you displayed leadership qualities.  Maximize these experiences on your resume. In addition, your HR experience makes you knowledgeable of basic management activities such as hiring, performance evaluation and training.

On your last question - shadowing, if you ask, the worst that could happen is for someone to say no. Set realistic time and expectation parameters and give it a try.  Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

•  06-04-2012, 2:27 PM 9763 in reply to 9744

Re: How do I get to the next step in my career?

If you are already in a healthcare organization, then it should not be too difficult to find out who your administrators are. I think most would be more than happy to help you. I work for Banner Health, and I have shadowed the COO and the director of Service Excellence so that I could figure out which field I would like best. Both individuals were more than happy to help, and they were really excited to have someone interested in their job. I am also running into the same problem of having no manager experience, and I think that is where ACHE and the networking events are going to help you. Don't give up! I'm not! Goof luck!
View as RSS news feed in XML