ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Career Change

Last post 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM by TCooley. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-30-2012, 10:30 AM 9749

Career Change

Hello,

I am in the process of doing a career shift into healthcare; however, I do not have any experience within the healthcare industry. I have extensive experience in finance and real estate. After earning my MBA (1996) I began my career as an accountant for a large bank.  In 1998 established my own investment company. After the economic pinch (2010) I closed the company and started working for a real estate company as the operations manager.

I want to transition into healthcare management. From my research it's difficult to earn experience without first entering into a fellowship or residency program. Consequently, most fellowship/residency programs require current students or recent graduates. Is it possible for me to enter into a fellowship/residency program? How can I enter into healthcare management?

•  05-01-2012, 12:14 PM 9750 in reply to 9749

Re: Career Change

Fellowships or residency programs may be difficult to arrange as they generally are geared toward a current or recently graduated student as you concluded as well. There are some Certificate programs in Healthcare which may supplement your MBA and be less lengthy and expensive than another degree, while adding some relevant knowledge.  You may also need to look at volunteering in a healthcare organization to gain some experience. 

You do have skills in finance and real estate that could be transferable to those specific areas of the healthcare field or to consulting and your MBA certainly provides some solid business know how, but with that said, the competition for jobs against those having healthcare experience will be a challenge.  No simple asnwer to this question, but refer to the Career Services portion of the ACHE website for additional resources that may be helpful.  Mike Broscio ACHE Career Resource Center Director

•  05-02-2012, 10:28 AM 9751 in reply to 9750

Re: Career Change

I plan to attend my ACHE local chapter's next event so that I can network with professionals that are in the business.  I completed volunteer applications for two facilities; however, I have not received any response. Should I be a little more creative/aggressive with my approach?

What are some healthcare certificate programs that I should consider?  

Are there any search firms that help professionals enter into healthcare? 

View as RSS news feed in XML