ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Need advice or suggestion for finding a healthcare administration job

Last post 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM by RMorton. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-05-2012, 10:07 AM 9731

Need advice or suggestion for finding a healthcare administration job

I would be graduating this May 2012 with MPA (Health Services Administration) from FDU Teaneck, NJ. I am looking for some kind of admin. internship or residency/fellowship or entry level job in the filed of healthcare administration. I hold the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery  from India with one year of compulsory rotating internship (6 years) in various medical departments like medicine, surgery, obs.-gynec, pediatrics, ENT, opthalmology, psychiatry, preventive and social medicine, rural and urban health departments etc. I also have one year of professional experince working as a physician in both corporate and government hospitals.

Please help me with some suggestions or advice in getting an admin. internship or residency/fellowship entry level job in healthcare administration field. Since being an international student on F-1 visa, I need H-1 visa sponsor from the employer to get permission from USCIS for working here in USA. But I can work full-time for 12 months without any sponsorship as Optional Practical Training (OPT), which starts after I graduate. Please provide some suggestions or direction to get some in-field experience.

Thank You

Krunal Mevada 

•  04-24-2012, 11:04 AM 9748 in reply to 9731

Re: Need advice or suggestion for finding a healthcare administration job

Dear Krunal,

Your clinical background and fresh master's may be perceived as more of an employment liability than they are seen as assets. Sponsorship imposes tremendous administrative burdens against contributions by a resident or fellow that often provide less benefit to the organization than to the individual and, indirectly, to the profession. The challenge for you is to be a missionary salesman marketing yourself and the less burdensome bureaucracy associated with OPT status. As your school admitted you under your F-! status it seems virtually obligatory on their part to be of assistance in helping you fulfill your career plan, so press your case with them. Also, you may need to learn of organizations that have worked with grads of your program who preceded you into such situations. Some, in fact, may have been retained and now might be in a position to serve as your preceptor/sponsor.  In selling yourself, try to develop a particular focus  whether in general management, quality and process improvement or in a functional role such as marketing and business development.

View as RSS news feed in XML