ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Advice or suggestion for acquiring job in healthcare administration field

Last post 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM by MBroscio. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-01-2012, 1:15 PM 9729

Advice or suggestion for acquiring job in healthcare administration field

I would be graduating this May 2012 with MPA (Health Services Administration) from FDU Teaneck, NJ. I am looking for some kind of admin. internship or residency/fellowship or entry level job in the filed of healthcare administration. I hold the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery  from India with one year of compulsory rotating internship (6 years) in various medical departments like medicine, surgery, obs.-gynec, pediatrics, ENT, opthalmology, psychiatry, preventive and social medicine, rural and urban health departments etc. I also have one year of professional experince working as a physician in both corporate and government hospitals.

Please help me with some suggestions or advice in getting an admin. internship or residency/fellowship entry level job in healthcare administration field. Since being an international student on F-1 visa, I need H-1 visa sponsor from the employer to get permission from USCIS for working here in USA. But I can work full-time for 12 months without any sponsorship as Optional Practical Training (OPT), which starts after I graduate. Please provide some suggestions or direction to get some in-field experience.

Thank You

Krunal Mevada 

•  03-05-2012, 12:20 PM 9732 in reply to 9729

Re: Advice or suggestion for acquiring job in healthcare administration field

Krunal: The current job marketplace is competitive and your Visa status doesn’t make it any easier, but with that said, I believe your clinical experience will be a big plus and make you stand out from many of your counterparts.

If you have not already done so, please make use of the many resources available at the ACHE Website. The Career Services section has information that will assist you and in particular, refer to the Student and Early Career Section. There is information on Fellowships and Internships there as well as HealthManagementCareers.org, an ACHE Web site that focuses on career opportunities in healthcare management, and Your Career as a Healthcare Executive which provides information about career opportunities for healthcare executives. Also check out our Job and Resume Bank and finally, a site that may be useful is http://www.internationalstudent.com/study_usa/way-of-life/working-in-the-usa.shtml. On your resume, highlight the clinical background you have and how it will make you a more effective addition to the staff. It may be that you lean on these clinical skills for an entry level job that you can build on once you gain more experience with an organization.

If by chance your will be coming to the ACHE Congress, there are several free career services being offered.  Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center

•  03-06-2012, 9:21 PM 9733 in reply to 9732

MBroscio....Thanks a lot for this valuable information. I have been through the various resource on the ACHE website, have even posted my resume on the site, have applied to few of the administrative residency/fellowships available from the website. But I am not getting any kind of correspondence from them and for few the deadline has already passed. For me working with a student visa and with an administration degree, I am allowed to work full-time for a maximum of 12 months by USCIS as Optional Practical Training (OPT). After 12 months, I am not allowed to work in the U.S. for any reason atleast on student visa. The only way to work after that period is to have the employer sponsor me a H-1 visa (work permit).

Even-though having this clinical experience in hospital setting it seems very difficult to search for any kind of job atleast at this level. That's why I am trying to network as much as possible. Even at student level I changed my membership to Individual Member at ACHE to take advantage of additional resources. Please if you don't mind go through my profile at http://www.linkedin.com/in/krunalmevada, so you might be able to provide me with some more suggestions.

•  03-07-2012, 11:36 AM 9735 in reply to 9733

Krunal:  I viewed your LinkedIn profile.  You may want to change your "headline" from Student to "Healthcare Professional with Clinical Experience and Management Training" to highlight those aspects of your background.  Have you accessed the ACHE Career Management Network? Below is the link. Using it requires you to log in first.
    http://www.ache.org/newclub/career/CareerMgmtNetwork/career_network.cfm.  There are no simple answers to your questions, but keep at it.  Your lack of response to job leads is not unusual, but it reinforces the need to network as heavily as you can.
  •  03-08-2012, 11:58 AM 9736 in reply to 9735

Thank you so much for the suggestion. And as you told I had already applied to the Career Management Network, just waiting for any correspondence. I was not going to attend the Congress but now I am planning to do so. Hope I am not too late for the limited vacancies available. Being a very new member to the association, I have no idea how to plan for the events/seminars available and how this congress might turn out to me. But if I do attend it, I am hoping to get the most out of it for sure. Thanks a lot again.
  •  03-26-2012, 12:54 PM 9741 in reply to 9729

The clinical background you have is an asset and more and more leaders will need to have this exposure.  As far as marketing yourself, think about how your background adds to your recent education (i.e. working with physicians, quality and patient safety issues).  Highlight the leadership you have displayed in your work so far such as leading teams and projects, dealing with difficult situations, remaining calm in a crisis.

Check the Student and Early Career Section of the ACHE - Career Services website and there is information on Fellowships and Internships as well as many other resources for Students and Early Careerists. You can also investigate the ACHE Chapters as they are often good sources for local activity as well as looking at AUPHA.org and CAHME.org.  In addtition, I suggest you check out the Career Management Network on the Affiliates Only section of the ACHE - Career Services Website. You will be able to enter criteria to access ACHE Volunteer Networking contacts.

As far as your Visa status, this site may  be helpful if you have not already seen it. http://www.internationalstudent.com/study_usa/way-of-life/working-in-the-usa.shtml

Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

View as RSS news feed in XML