ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Early Careerist Advice Needed

Last post 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM by MBroscio. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-12-2012, 8:14 AM 9737

Early Careerist Advice Needed

I am presently a member of the Early Careerist SIG group through the HLNDV chapter of ACHE. I just completed my MHA from Saint Joseph's University. I am presently employed as a medical malpractice paralegal for a firm with at least 12 years of legal and health care experience, so my goal is to re-enter the health care field with my knowledge of legal,Risk Management and Compliance experience.

I frequent ACHE's job board and find most of the positions posted are for mid to upper level managers only and most others are not tailored to early careerists like myself, nor cater to a person who is switching careers and re-entering the health care realm again. 

I presently doing all of the "right things", I have partnered with a mentor through our program, network, network, network and even secured an interview via networking but as of today, nothing has come to fruition. I would love to take advantage of some of the compliance seminars and programs available through the chapter/organization but again these are tailored to individuals already committed to positions in health care. 

This job search has been a daunting one and leaves me under the impression I will be left out of this growing health care field.

Can someone please advise if I am missing something, or could take advantage of another point of view or insight?  

Thanks. 

•  03-26-2012, 12:12 PM 9740 in reply to 9737

Re: Early Careerist Advice Needed

What you're experiencing is not unique you, so don't be discouraged.  The job search process is taking longer these days. Your healthcare related experience is a  a plus and be sure to "sell" that in your cover letters and conversations.  You have a better knowledge and workplace maturity than many of your competitors for entry level jobs. An Internship or Fellowhip might also be considered. Check the Student and Early Career Section of the ACHE - Career Services website and there is information on Fellowships and Internships as well as other resources for Students and Early Careerists. You can also investigate AUPHA.org and CAHME.org. Continue to use the local Chapter and I also suggest you check out the Career Management Network on the Affiliates Only section of the ACHE - Career Services Website. You will be able to enter criteria to access ACHE Volunteer Networking contacts. Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

View as RSS news feed in XML