ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Administrative Fellowships

Last post 09-12-2011, 1:44 by RMorton. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-08-2011, 2:15 9702

Administrative Fellowships

Question- Can you still apply and be eligible for an Administrative Fellowship after you completed your graduated degree?  I have completed my MHA in 2005 and did not get the opportunity to do an Administration Fellowship or AIT. I am interested in both but having a hard time  as most want new graduates. I would like the opportunity as well as the experience, but how can you get that when there are so many limitations?

•  09-12-2011, 1:44 9704 in reply to 9702

Re: Administrative Fellowships

Dear Ms. White,

I just scanned a number of the fellowships presently listed on the ACHE Directory of Fellowships Listings.  It appears that, strictly speaking, there are many postings that would not preclude you from applying nor that would disqualify you based on having earlier experience working in healthcare.  That said, one must recognize how intensely competitive gaining a fellowship has become and how fellowship sponsors feel about creating future executives that will carry the sponsoring organization’s brand into the profession.  I suggest you take a look at the resource termed Fellowship Application Guide on ache.org at http://www.ache.org/postgrad/pgf_presentations/fellowship_presentations.cfm to get a sense of what is required and the kind of talent one competes with in going for a fellowship. I foresee in your case the challenge of having powerful letters of recommendation given your time away from school being a serious limitation. Perhaps if you have a clear objective for a fellowship, you can write a compelling essay and you present significant career accomplishments aligned with the organization’s immediate priorities you might move to the interview stage.  You suggest an AIT is also an interest which suggests you might appear less committed to a fellowship’s objective than individuals who have working in a hospital or health system as a singular interest.

View as RSS news feed in XML