ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Job Market

Last post 07-19-2011, 3:11 PM by RMorton. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-13-2011, 6:10 PM 9686

Job Market

Hello Everyone,

I feel like the job market has gotten very tough over the years. When I graduated with my Bachelors degree in 2008, I had gotten a job immediately after graduation. Then I left that job for a part time job so I can also attend graduate school and I am now finishing up my Masters Degree in Healthcare Administration and I am having a very difficult time just getting an interview. I'm currently in my last term in my degree program right now. I have 4 years of experience in retail management and just one year experience in healthcare. Honestly, I'm getting very frustrated and stressed out with the situation. Currently I am unemployed and living in Toledo, Ohio.However, I am very hopeful and thinking positively that maybe once my degree is actually completed then maybe it will be different for me. Hopefully that is the situation!

Any thoughts or opinion as to what I should do...

Hana

•  07-19-2011, 3:11 PM 9691 in reply to 9686

Re: Job Market

Dear Hana,

Welcome to membership in ACHE. You are correct; the job market has become very challenging in the past few years. That applies to healthcare executives as tor the rest of the economy.  One reason is there are many new graduates with master’s degrees in hand trying to enter the field.  They face a declining number of independent hospitals.  Without your degree you are at a disadvantage, but having work experience that includes a year in healthcare puts you ahead of many other new graduates.  You must put aside negative thoughts and feelings that undermine taking positive steps.  Those include developing and participating with members of your professional network, gaining experience in the field as part of your concluding academic period, and determining what   job you are after.  It is not helpful to tell others that your objective is a position in health administration.  That is too vague and leaves potential helpers at a loss as to what would be of assistance.  There may be opportunities associated with changes that arise from healthcare reform.  Watch for them and position yourself to meet those new needs.

View as RSS news feed in XML