ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Question 1

Last post 09-20-2010, 5:47 PM by ASchwarzer. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-23-2010, 3:32 PM 9537

Question 1

Please provide suggestions regarding ways that ACHE can strengthen relationships with Student Associates, potential affiliates and healthcare management programs.
  •  09-16-2010, 4:42 PM 9540 in reply to 9537

Re: Question 1

I think one thing lacking in healthcare management programs that could potentially be met by the ACHE, is a formal mentorship program or "career education program".  The sheer number of opportunities within healthcare is somewhat overwhelming to those new to the industry, and gaining a better understanding of career paths, potential jobs, etc. would be very helpful.  Maybe student affiliates could specify an area of interest that they would like to learn more about, or even potentially job shadow, which could be something provided by ACHE at a local or national level. 

While the responsibility ultimately falls to students and potential affiliates to reach out and build connections, having a built in system for making those connections could help students get started.  If students knew they would have opportunities to meet those in their field as part of membership, they would be more likely to join and participate in the ACHE.

•  09-17-2010, 11:06 AM 9541 in reply to 9540

One thing I found a tad difficult during my summer internship at an Academic Medical Center was deciphering the patient flow, terminology and general hierarchy of the organization.  While this does differ across orgs to some degree I felt that much of this could have been covered in a brief session giving a high level overview of the different units, specialties, responsibilities and roles of an AMC.  This is something that a local professional may be willing to design that, although may not be of much interest to themselves, would be helpful for students.
  •  09-18-2010, 1:02 AM 9547 in reply to 9540

I agree that some form of career education program would be beneficial for students.  I believe this would attract a lot of students to ACHE - especially those new to their degree programs.  Gathering information about job opportunities and areas of focus can be difficult for many who are new to the industry.  Once students join ACHE I believe that they will find other useful resources available to them and continue to utilize their membership.
  •  09-20-2010, 5:47 PM 9552 in reply to 9537

I would agree with the career focus-it would be a great way to help draw in new student members.  Having ACHE sponsored career/networking events on the actual college campus would also be a great draw.
View as RSS news feed in XML