ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Choosing between a traditional MBA program and an MBA program which has a Healthcare Management specialty

Last post 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM by RMorton. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-20-2009, 10:44 AM 9431

Choosing between a traditional MBA program and an MBA program which has a Healthcare Management specialty

I have come to the point in my career where I realize that I cannot go any further without a Master's degree in management. I am wondering if there are any Healthcare Execs on this network that could give me some honest advise about the importance of the type of MBA program you attend.

I have a background in both clinical and marketing research. I have over 10 years experience working for top research hospitals and a fortune 500 company.  My experience level has allowed me to rise to my current level without a Master's thus far but I know I will need it to get to the executive level.

Does is make a significant difference whether or not you get an MBA in Healthcare Management? And how important is the reputation and "brand awareness" of the school. Basically, I am choosing between a traditional MBA at a more well known school that is affordable and an MBA in Healthcare Management program at a lesser known school that is 3 times the cost.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sincerely,

Afua 

•  12-23-2009, 8:07 PM 9448 in reply to 9431

Re: Choosing between a traditional MBA program and an MBA program which has a Healthcare Management specialty

Hello Afua,

I came to the same crossroad that you are now confronted with, I choose a straight MBA.  My thinking was this... an MBA is more portable and extendable to many industries.  I felt that an MBA could be utilized in the hospital environment as well as any other should the need arise.

What I found was... to get into hospital administration, a Masters degree in HCA (Healthcare Administration) is more valuable than an MBA.  My BS is in Healthcare Management and I have a traditional MBA but have met with limited success entering the administration level at a hospital.

I guess what I would suggest is talk to the CEO, COO and HR gatekeeper at the hospitals you want to work for and ask them your specific question.  What I think you will find is that the HCA or even the MBA with a healthcare management concentration would be more valuable than a straight MBA.

All that being said... I AM NOT a hospital administrator but did not see any other replies so I thought I would give you my two cents.

Take care and good luck,

Kevin Evers

•  01-04-2010, 4:29 PM 9456 in reply to 9431

Re: Choosing between a traditional MBA program and an MBA program which has a Healthcare Management specialty

Hi, Afua,

The best person to answer these questions would be Dr. Reed Morton, FACHE, CJSS, who heads up the ACHE Career Services division. Unfortunately, Dr. Morton is out of the office until next Monday, Jan. 11. He will respond to your inquiry then.

Thank you,

Megan Downey, Senior Web Editor

ACHE

•  01-14-2010, 11:22 AM 9463 in reply to 9431

Afua,

I urge you to read the posting on Which Degree Should I pursue on ache.org at http://www.ache.org/CARSVCS/whichdegree.cfm .

Competition for entry management positions with healthcare provider organizations has become truly intense because there are now so many master's programs with some kind of healthcare management track and there are relatively fewer traditional provider organizations - a classic supply vs demand imbalance for students with your aspirations.  The last thing you want to be upon completing a master's degree is a commodity rather than an advantageously differentiated product.  My belief is that master's programs with an already established, supportive alumni base and a curriculum that engages students in field-based (read that also as resume building) experiences are in the best position to help their graduates realize the desired return on their investment of money, time and hope.

•  02-09-2010, 1:58 AM 9467 in reply to 9463

Hello

I have a similar concern. Unlike many I have not been employed in medical admin world.I am currently pursuing my MBA with a focus/specialty in Health Care Mgt. My BS was in health care mgt. My college was online and classes accelerated. I invested alot of time and of course money which I will need to pay back. I am not 100% confident in landing a position since the economy is the way it is and the competition is fierce. I long to stand out among the competition yet I am not sure how.

I enjoy the HR aspects to this field as well. I am open for avenues to pursue. Finance and billing is not of interest to me. I want to learn about educational/credentials I can seek through ACHE while working on my MBA.

Since my college is online it does not offer internships. I am interested in learning about internships of ACHE can provide recommendations. I would like to think after investing as much money as I have in my education that I can obtain a position one day with a salary to help start paying back all the loans I took out! Thus, I would want the position to be in health care mgt/ clinical admin/hr related.

I appreciate your input.

Sincerely

Sheilah Fulton

•  02-16-2010, 12:42 PM 9469 in reply to 9467

Dear Sheilah,

First, regarding internships.  These will tend to be experiences developed and filled on a local basis, consequently other than ACHE's own summer diversity internship  or the Institue for Diversity's Summer Enrichment Program, such opportunities do not come to our attention at the home base of ACHE.  You should explore opportunities for experiential learning (that's more than just internships....case studies, job shadowing, etc)  in association with participating in your local ACHE chapter. 

As for credentials, ACHE offers only the FACHE which is earned after passing the Board of Governors examiniation.  Often, though, ACHE course work will count toward satisfybing continuing education requirements of numerous licensing or credentialing agencies.  That is just for clarification. 

My hunch is that you would be best served employability-wise were you able to pursue your interest in Human Resources management as a functional specialty within your MBA  program.  I am sure you can find rleated courses or publications from ACHE, Health Administation Press or elsewhere that would add a valuable aspect of HR in contemporary practice to your studies.

View as RSS news feed in XML