ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Looking for advice on career path

Last post 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM by RMorton. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-13-2013, 8:23 PM 9838

Looking for advice on career path

Hello Everyone, 

I am currently working on my MBA in healthcare management, I have a GPA of 3.7. At the moment I work as a manager in a group home that teaches mentally disabled individuals how to become independent. This is my 9th year working with my company. At the age of 28 I feel that I should keep my options open to other opportunities, but I am having trouble doing so. I would like to get into opportunities that have better chances of advancement for me and my career. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could start looking or what will better interest me.

Thanks

-Kajuan Auld 

•  03-15-2013, 12:32 PM 9839 in reply to 9838

Re: Looking for advice on career path

Dear KAuld,

Nine years seems a long time with one company but it can be strong evidence of stability and growth.  Given your apparent youth it seems likely you have grown into your management job by earning confidence that you could handle additional responsibility.  Your resume should show this progression. This may be a ripe time to explore how behavioral health as a healthcare segment is growing among general hospitals and with specialized facilities.  You should identify what are the administrative positions associated with hospital behavioral programs and with specialized facilities and then identify the behavioral and management competencies associated with the successful performers in such posts. Make sure you assess how many of those competencies you already possess and which ones you still need to develop then set about adding them.  It would also be valuable to get from those you network with which are successful programs that will grow so you can learn about them and the people who work there.  Your objective will be to get to know them and to be certain they get to know you, too  Possibly after you launch  a management career in behavioral it will qualify you to step up to another management role with broader responsibilities.  Don’t overlook the value of participating actively with your local ACHE chapter or reviewing the material in Career Management 101 on ache.org.

View as RSS news feed in XML