ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

5. Interaction Between Students and ACHE Regent

Last post 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM by TFlowers. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-31-2012, 11:07 AM 9791

5. Interaction Between Students and ACHE Regent

ACHE asks Regents to visit schools in their area once a year. What should your Regent discuss that would make the visit a worthwhile and valuable experience?
  •  09-07-2012, 11:41 AM 9794 in reply to 9791

Re: 5. Interaction Between Students and ACHE Regent

Mark Hamilton is the Wisconsin Regent and has been wonderfully active in his interactions with our UW-Milwaukee organization: Future Healthcare Executives (FHE). Last year he gave a great presentation which I saw before becoming a member. It certainly was one of the deciding factors that prompted me to join ACHE. I have brought up with the other FHE officers that I would like him to come back to present both in the fall and spring semesters of the 2012-2013 school year.

Since FHE is an organization comprised of undergrads, it would be great to hear the Regents talk more about the benefits and drawbacks of various post-baccalaureate plans; Would they recommend going into graduate school immediately (and simultaneously working, if possible), or gaining experience through entry-level work, and then returning to school? As an undergrad organization, this is the most commonplace question brought up by FHE members, and it would be great to hear some input from the area's leading healthcare professionals.

Callan Slifka

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

B.S. Healthcare Administration 

•  09-09-2012, 4:48 PM 9799 in reply to 9791

In the year that I have been enrolled in my MHA program, I don't believe that our regent has yet visited. This could very well be because of geographic constraints though, as he lives and works over 200 miles away across the state. I feel that I would like to hear about what ACHE is doing within South Carolina, and how young professionals can get involved. 

Philip Talcott

Master of Health Administration Candidate, 2013

Medical University of South Carolina 

•  09-20-2012, 9:41 PM 9808 in reply to 9791

It would be very informative if the Regent discussed various opportunities within the healthcare field (such as different opportunities in hospital settings, physician medical groups, long term care, etc.).  Hearing about the Regent’s career path and any advice and suggestions regarding entering into and advancing within healthcare administration careers would also be helpful.  Another very beneficial topic to discuss would be advice about what students should get involved in while completing their program (such as healthcare volunteering, leadership positions in their healthcare student organization, obtaining a part time job in a healthcare organization, etc.).  In my program there seems to be quite a bit of confusion about whether it is best to be a full time student and complete the graduate program in a shorter amount of time or to work within healthcare and complete the graduate program part time over several years.  Students also tend to be unsure about what point in the program is the best time to complete internships (beginning, middle, or end of the program).  It would be useful to students to have an opportunity to get the Regent’s input regarding these questions.  Another aspect the Regent could discuss would be to highlight some areas within healthcare that seem to be upcoming areas with a bright outlook, such as process improvement.

As far as I know my program has not had any contact with the Regent.  The contact our healthcare student organization has had with the local chapter has been fairly limited.  We have contacted individuals in the local chapter we have personal connections with to speak to our organization and when they come they seem to be very enthusiastic about speaking to us and excited to promote ACHE.  It would be great if the local chapters were more proactive about reaching out to university healthcare organizations rather than waiting for the student organizations to contact them.

Molly Thompson

Grand Valley State University

Master of Health Administration ‘13

•  09-24-2012, 12:27 PM 9810 in reply to 9791

It would be helpful for students to understand the Regent's take on where healthcare is going, especially in terms of legislative changes.  As a student this would help to guide choices for a professional career after receiving the MHA.  If the Regent could give some of their professional insight on what changes or areas that may need more attention, this would give students ideas about how they can use the advanced degree to their best advantage.

Tranel H. Flowers

Texas Women University

Masters in Health Care Administration, 2013

View as RSS news feed in XML