ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

2. Promoting the Benefits of ACHE

Last post 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM by TFlowers. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-31-2012, 11:05 AM 9788

2. Promoting the Benefits of ACHE

Please provide suggestions on how ACHE can encourage healthcare management programs and Student Associates to promote the benefits of ACHE along with recruitment and advancement within ACHE.
  •  09-09-2012, 5:00 PM 9801 in reply to 9788

Re: 2. Promoting the Benefits of ACHE

Recruitment and advancement could be aided if our program had a student ACHE chapter. Also, more involvement with our Regent or other local members would be beneficial. ACHE Fellows in the Charleston area could come guest speak to our program about their career and how ACHE has aided their progression. 

Philip Talcott

Master of Health Administration Candidate, 2013

Medical University of South Carolina 

•  09-18-2012, 10:52 AM 9803 in reply to 9788

My program has a student organization, who's Vice President is the liaison with NCHE (DC Chapter). It helps to have a representative that attends their board meetings and functions, reporting back to the group and the program about what's going on and how we can get involved. It would also help for the chapters to visit campuses and give testimonials on how ACHE has benefited them. 

Kara

Georgetown University

Masters in Health Systems Administration, '13 

•  09-20-2012, 9:33 PM 9805 in reply to 9788

Healthcare management programs could promote ACHE if they had a flyer from ACHE to distribute to their students (the flyer could include basic information about ACHE affiliation, benefits, resources available through membership, student testimonials, and the cost of membership).  Most instructors in my program do not mention involvement in ACHE.  If ACHE connected more with the programs and made the benefits of involvement known to the professors, I think the professors would be more interested in promoting ACHE to students through advising and in classes.

Student Associates could promote ACHE through their university healthcare administration student organizations.  At Grand Valley State University, our graduate student healthcare organization promotes ACHE by featuring speakers from the local ACHE chapter.  At our first event of the year, we always have a speaker discuss the benefits of ACHE and why students should consider getting involved in it.  Not many students from my program get involved in ACHE, but I think more would become student members if the student organization were more connected with the local ACHE chapter.  I think one of the best ways to promote student involvement in ACHE is through the local ACHE chapters being more involved with the university healthcare organizations (supporting them with speakers, mentoring, making connections for internships, etc.).

Molly Thompson

Grand Valley State University

Master of Health Administration ‘13

•  09-24-2012, 12:50 PM 9813 in reply to 9788

ACHE could be more visible to students by having former students to speak about how ACHE has impacted their career.  At Texas Women's University, the professors do encourage students to join, but most of them don't.  Some students don't understand the impact of networking and how it can be an asset to their next career move.  Also being a part of ACHE helps students to keep up with trends and changes in health care.  This is crucial since this industry is evolving.

Tranel H. Flowers

Texas Women University

Masters in Health Care Administration, 2013

View as RSS news feed in XML