ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

1. Relationships With Student Associates

Last post 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM by TFlowers. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-31-2012, 11:04 AM 9787

1. Relationships With Student Associates

Please provide suggestions on ways that ACHE can strengthen relationships with Student Associates, potential members and healthcare management programs.

•  09-07-2012, 12:06 PM 9796 in reply to 9787

Re: 1. Relationships With Student Associates

I believe that emphasizing volunteer opportunities for ACHE events across the board gives Student Associates a comfortable "in" to being at events. As a student who would really enjoy becoming a more active member in ACHE, being a lone, student volunteer at a recent past event was a great way to ease into the setting and interact with other young professionals. Perhaps a monthly email highlighting upcoming volunteer opportunities which students can sign up for would be a great way for more student members to get involved, network, and exemplify benefits of the organization.

Callan Slifka

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

B.S. Healthcare Administration 

•  09-09-2012, 4:24 PM 9797 in reply to 9787

I feel that if ACHE held quarterly, semiannual, or even annual luncheons or dinners for young professionals in the healthcare management profession, ACHE could use these opportunities to educate this demographic through guest speakers or something similar. Some chapters may do things like this, but I haven't seen it in my area. I don't think I've seen many activities targeted toward young professionals in general in South Carolina.

Philip Talcott

Master of Health Administration Candidate, 2013

Medical University of South Carolina 

•  09-18-2012, 10:41 AM 9802 in reply to 9787

It would help to advertise more and reach out to Healthcare Student Organizations at various college campuses. Not many undergraduates know what ACHE is and what the benefits are. Also, with masters programs the graduate students are often told they should join ACHE without being given a clear understanding of what ACHE can do for them to better prepare them for entering the job market. I agree, volunteer opportunities would help engage more members. If more frequent luncheons/dinners aren't possible, maybe hold a few recruitment/informational sessions in each district. 

Kara Jose 

Georgetown University

Masters of Health Systems Administration '13 

•  09-20-2012, 9:30 PM 9804 in reply to 9787

ACHE could strengthen its relationship with student associates through an increase in communication to the student associates.  This could be accomplished through a monthly email to student associates that could feature information that is specifically relevant to students.  Information could include links to suggested articles that are relevant to class topics (such as most programs have courses in healthcare finance, law, economics, etc.).  It could also feature short question and answer written “interviews” with healthcare professionals giving advice and suggestions for entering or advancing within healthcare.  Another aspect that could be featured in the monthly email could be short bios of various areas healthcare administrators can focus in with information about the nature of their work, since students without experience in healthcare do not necessarily realize all of the areas that could be future opportunities for healthcare employment (such as quality improvement, human resources, marketing, etc.).  ACHE could also improve its relationship with student associates by making more of the early careerist resources available to student affiliates.  When I first became a member, I was disappointed that I did not have access to some of those resources since that information would likely be very valuable to reference in beginning a career in healthcare.  It would be great if there were a mentoring network as a resource for learning more about different areas of employment within healthcare (quality improvement, human resources, marketing, etc.).  This could also be an avenue for students entering or advancing within healthcare to gain advice and suggestions, since the Leadership Mentoring Network is not a possibility for students. 

ACHE could strengthen its relationships with potential members by stressing the value of membership in developing a future career.  Membership benefits specifically directed toward students, such as a monthly student email as mentioned above, could encourage more students to become members.

ACHE could strengthen its relationships with healthcare management programs through increasing communication with the programs. ACHE could increase communication with the programs, and students as a result, by creating a flyer to provide to the programs to distribute to their students.  The flyer could include basic information about ACHE affiliation, benefits, resources available through membership, student testimonials, and the cost of membership.  Programs could easily distribute the flyer to students through a variety of avenues, such as via email, in classes, student advising, at new student orientation, etc.

Molly Thompson

Grand Valley State University

Master of Health Administration ‘13

•  09-24-2012, 12:21 PM 9809 in reply to 9787

ACHE could strengthen relationships by having events where student associates could learn more about what it takes to become a healthcare executive.  Students and potential members should be given information to help them to navigate this career path. I know the path to leadership may be different for everyone, but insight from current executives would be helpful.  This could be done in the format of a lunch and learn.

Tranel H. Flowers

Texas Women University

Masters in Health Care Administration, 2013

View as RSS news feed in XML