ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Career guidance

Last post 08-18-2010, 3:40 PM by RMorton. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-11-2010, 12:15 PM 9529

Career guidance

I have just moved to the Midwest and am not sure what my next step should be in my career. I have a Bachelor's in Health Care Administration and am currently in the process of obtaining my MHA. I have been working full time in health care for 7 years (since I received my undergraduate degree) but finding it difficult to advance. I have a fair amount of experience but so far each opportunity has provided no room for growth (even after meeting with supervisors and department managers). Unfortunately I have done "unofficial training" of employees but nothing that was able to provide growth and give me a supervisor or leadership title to advance with in past positions. I would love to work my way into a management position, but have been finding it difficult to get into such a position since I have not "officially" supervised anyone.

Now that I am practically starting over in another state, I'm not quite sure how I should proceed in my search especially with hiring freezes and layoffs still occurring. Does ACHE have any resources that could help to narrow down interests or provide guidance in general. I did see in a previous forum post the mention of Career Management 101, and I will be checking that out. It's a tough request as I know that I still have some soul searching to do in how I want my career to proceed, but any bit of help on how to use the tools provided at ACHE's site or elsewhere, or just any other suggestions in general would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Kim 

•  08-18-2010, 3:40 PM 9532 in reply to 9529

Re: Career guidance

Dear Kim,

Welcome to the Heartland.  You have a good start on presenting yourself through your LinkedIn profile but there is room for even more effective branding….once you can clarify matters for yourself.   Your summary does speak to specific roles you foresee taking on so you have the start on a mission statement to carry with you in making new networking contacts.  You should join and participate in the ACHE chapter there in your state of residence but don’t overlook activities of the chapter to your east, also.   You can use participation in chapter events and chapter directories and the ACHE affiliate directory to identify affiliates who have identified themselves as having expertise in those areas related to process and data management that you mention as strengths and interests.  From them you may gain insights that let you maximize the value of your graduate study by carrying out school–related projects that benefit these new network members in their jobs and you in your studies and professional identity management.  Often, the hardest part of career management is getting focus so you can tell with authenticity what it is that you want to do, be that general management or some functional role.  When you can do that, chances are much better that people will listen and be prepared to assist.

View as RSS news feed in XML