ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

How may I transition into a management position?

Last post 04-08-2009, 2:53 PM by CHarris. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-25-2009, 10:24 AM 8931

How may I transition into a management position?

• I am an Occupational Therapist and Certified Hand Therapist.
    • I have willingly accepted many Leadership and Management roles; I have been praised many times for my leadership talent.
    • After applying for three management positions, going through the interview process and not receiving the job, I asked for constructive criticism. The response from three different sources was repeated, I have the qualifications, a position will open up in the future.
    • Do I need to be patient?  Should I go back to school to receive my MBA?
    • Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  •  03-18-2009, 2:10 PM 8979 in reply to 8931

Re: How may I transition into a management position?

Interesting that you receive the response that you are qualified, but yet didn't receive the promotion.  I would wonder based on what you've written if there is something you could do to enhance your resume or interview skills?  Obviously extra education doesn't hurt, but in this case it sounds like that is not a problem or it is simply an excuse for lack of solid feedback.  Perhaps you could arrange to visit with some of the interviewers and obtain a more detailed outline of why you were not selected.  In the meantime I would continue to accept leadership/management roles within your organization, but perhaps also in a community setting as well, which leads to a more rounded appearance on applications. 
  •  03-27-2009, 10:38 AM 8985 in reply to 8979

Dear C. Harris, 

You inspired me to apply for the Chamber of Commerce Leadership program next year.  If nothing else, it will provide access to the local government and connect me with volunteer opportunities!

My current boss states that he is waiting for a leadership/management position to become available within my organization, He tried to create a management position in a new clinic in another town, but the COO had other ideas for the same facility. I also will get to meet with my first interviewer to ask more in depth questions about why I was not chosen, next spring. 

I do think honing my interview skills and improving my resume are excellent suggestions. I utilized the ACHE website to fine tune my current resume. Any other advice?

Thank you again.  Your recommendations made a difference in my life! 

•  04-08-2009, 2:53 PM 8993 in reply to 8985

Well thank you for your kind words, I think that you are responsible for your own destiny, I only offer suggestions. I think you are on the correct path; however, other areas you might consider are partner facilties that may offer leadership/management classes for employees.  On occasion they will allow a couple of extra employees to attend.  Of course don't forget the great education offerings sponsered by ACHE I've partcipated in one and found it to be really great and hope to go to more in the future.  Good luck.
View as RSS news feed in XML