ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Changing occupations

Last post 05-08-2009, 7:50 AM by RPeluso. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-16-2008, 12:39 8371

Changing occupations

I have a quesiton about getting into the healthcare management field.  I have been a school bus driver for the past 14 years.  I have also recently earned my BA in healthcare management and my MBA in healthcare management.  How should I start.  I do need to still receive a paycheck.  If you could please give me some pointers, I would greatly appreciate it. 

•  02-18-2009, 12:18 8893 in reply to 8371

Re: Changing occupations

I am in a similar boat as you. I work in an emergency room doing clinical work, but I want to get into the administrative sector. I as well have my degree in healthcare management. Frustrated!
  •  03-26-2009, 11:01 8984 in reply to 8371

Congratulations on your degree. You've found yourself in a wonderful industry with lots of potential. Consider getting involved with healthcare services organizations as a volunteer --include places like hospice, community health. Get some hands on experience whether as a volunteer in these organizations, on projects or through other volunteer work like committees. Get yourself into the the system - even project work. You need to build your portfolio of results in healthcare. If needed, find your own way to create your own "internship" opportunities if you find yourself lacking.
  •  05-08-2009, 7:50 AM 9213 in reply to 8371

I have a similar set of circumstances.  I have worked in healthcare for a while in the clinical lab and for an IVD manufacturer directly related to medical offices, hospital and labs.  I have a BS in Healthcare admin. and getting my MBA in Healthcare Mgt, but can't seem to find a door to enter the industry.  I am even having a hard time getting anyone to talk to me without 10 years or more experience.  very frustrating...
View as RSS news feed in XML