ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Not sure where to begin

Last post 04-25-2008, 11:24 AM by SGrandjean. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-13-2008, 7:55 PM 7229

Not sure where to begin

Hi,

I graduated with my Masters in Health Services Administration in 2006 and since then have been with the Medical School at a University.  My current job is with the Institutional Review Board and does not allow me to apply what I have learned in school.  In the past two years I have been promoted to the Operations Manager managing at least 7 persons at one time and there is the promise of an Associate Director position in the near future, however I am interested in pursuing what I consider my calling in Health Care Management.  I am however unsure on where to begin.  Can anyone offer some advice?

Thank you,

Dawn S. Prospect, MHSA

•  04-25-2008, 11:24 AM 7244 in reply to 7229

Re: Not sure where to begin

Dawn,

The promise of a position that carries more repsonsibility can be an obstacle, especially if you don't fell like you're using everything you've learned in school.  I would imagine that there would be a number of opportunities available outside of the IRB arena through the University you are employed.  I might suggest taking a look into those positions, as they might be more suited to your career path, enabling you to use all of the knowledge you have gained in your studies.

Good luck,

Scott

Scott J. Grandjean, FACHE
    Consultant & Principal
    Lakeside Healthcare Strategies, LLC
    Dallas, TX
View as RSS news feed in XML