ACHE Message Boards

Connect with colleagues on this online forum.
Welcome to ACHE Message Boards Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums

Staying current while out of the work force

Last post 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM by MBroscio. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-12-2013, 12:28 AM 9820

Staying current while out of the work force

I just graduated with my MBA in health administration in December 2012 and I am taking some time off to be a stay at home mother (I have a 9 month old daughter). Are there things that I can do while I am out of the workforce to stay current? Are there certain things that employers will be looking for when I do return to work? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Stacey Klinker
    Filed under: ,
  •  01-17-2013, 10:22 AM 9822 in reply to 9820

Re: Staying current while out of the work force

Hello,

You might consider attending the local ACHE chapter meetings once a month.  That will keep you connected with the health care community.

Kristi

•  01-17-2013, 11:39 AM 9823 in reply to 9820

Re: Staying current while out of the work force

The suggestion of  attending Chapter events is a good one.  There are also ACHE educational webinars that might help with staying current as well.  Stay up with the literature and Modern Healthcare Magazine, etc.

Networking is vital, keep in touch with people and utilize sources such as LinkedIn.

As far as what employers will be looking for, it's tough to give a simple answer.  With the Affordable Care Act coming on line, there will be needs, but it is still a fuzzy picture.  Look at ACHE's "FutureScan" report and the Health Reform Resource area at ache.org. Mike Broscio - ACHE Career Resource Center.

View as RSS news feed in XML